Wax and Polish
Well, late last night the last stitch went into Yellow Mat Two. St Mary’s clock was just striking nine as I cut the thread. I promised to report on how the waxed thread performed when it was pressed. And it behaved very well indeed. I did give it a dry iron between sheets of absorbent paper before I damp-pressed and lightly starched the mat, but there didn’t seem to be anything noticable on the paper after the ironing. And the thread lost all the stiffness and dullness when it was pressed. It has its shine and silkiness back. (In fact it looks better than it does on the first mat, as it hasn’t been so stressed during stitching.)
So the beeswax has been a complete success, and I’ll certainly use it again if I need it.
I wanted to photograph the mat this evening, when I got home from work. So I put it on a table and set some lights around it. And then I decided that the table could use a polish before I took the photo. I popped into the kitchen and grabbed an old spray-bottle of Mr Sheen. This was a pump-bottle, not an aerosol. It was nearly empty, but I could hear just a little liquid sloshing about in the bottom of it. Much pumping of the handle did not produce any spray, so I took the top off and tipped the bottle very slightly onto the table. Very slightly – but forgetting that this was a triangular shaped bottle and a small tilt was the equivalent of a much bigger tilt on a normal bottle. Oops! There was a lot more left in it than I expected and it came out in a rush. Fortunately I had the sense to push the mat swiftly onto the floor, because the photography had to be delayed while a large puddle of polish was mopped up from the table and spread around everything else likely to benefit from it.
At least the polish stayed off the new Yellow Mat and off the carpet, and I now have four very shiny wooden tables!